Friday, November 19, 2010

Hindsight is my Specialty

Parker still has plenty of zoomies left after his walk with Mike in the morning, so today, when we went outside, I took his leash off so he could run circles in the backyard. The good news -- he would wait, impatiently wagging his tail, while I threw his new ball and then, when I’d say, “Go get it!”, he’d take off at warp speed and chase it down. We did this again and again, with the occasional, “Parker!” bringing him right back to me. Success! So we just did it again. Problem is, I should have waited until *after* he had eliminated to release him to play. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It’s hard to mark elimination behavior if I’m not right there when it happens. If I learn to wait until after he pees and/or poops, and then release him to play, he’s more likely to do it right away and on command.

And somehow, he managed to find a pile of burrs which immediately attached themselves to his ears and tail. Happily, he’s very good about standing still while I comb them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment