Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Dog Aptly Named

I had given some thought lately to changing Parker’s name to ‘Shadow,’ not only because he’s black and impossible to see without some light, but because that’s what he is -- my shadow. But it’s really too late now and not fair after working so hard to get him to respond to calling his name.

It was brought home to me this morning how apt the name of ‘Parker’ is -- as in ‘Nosy Parker.’

December 1st is approaching and that’s the day I bring the Amaryllis bulbs in from the garage for replanting, to bloom around Christmas. So it was time to rearrange all the other plants on the window seat. While I was at it, it was also a good time to clean there. I started by removing everything from the window seat which wasn’t a plant. This included two plant hangers, made of ropey stuff. I put them both on the couch and went back for more stuff. Parker was, of course, right at my side, sticking his nose into whatever I did. I turned around with another armload of stuff to move, and there was Parker, holding one of the plant hangers in his mouth. In order to get it, he had had to climb up onto the couch (Mike is preparing to clean the rugs and there was a chair on top of the couch and it was onto this chair that I had moved the hangers). I thanked him for returning it to me and put it back, this time watching and, sure enough, he went to retrieve it for me again. I pointed out that this was not desireable and he desisted.

As I moved each plant to clean under it, leaves would fall off. Parker would pick them up. Several times, perhaps to get a better view, his front paws went up onto the window seat and his nose went into a plant pot. Sneezing ensued.

The work finally got done and we were both satisfied with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment