Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It only takes once -- no repetitions

Mike usually takes Parker for a long walk every morning. He takes all three dogs outside first with Parker on a leash, brings them all back in after they do their business and then takes off with Parker out the front door. But a late night last night ("Just one more chapter!") coupled with an early morning meeting meant he didn't get a walk in this morning. So it was up to me. I took all three dogs out back (no leash), let Tilly and Emmy back in and headed for the back gate, taking out a leash from my pocket. Parker knows what the leash means, so he trotted right along, got hooked to the leash and off we went.

Several minutes ago we all went back out again for a backyard pee. Tilly and Emmy got it over with and headed back to the house (it's very cold outside). Parker, who likes to sniff for a while, took his sweet time, but finally eliminated. I picked it up and headed for the gate, where I have a bag hanging for disposal. He saw where I was headed and beat me there, tail high and wagging. When all I did was use the bag and not open the gate, but walk away from it, his tail drooped pathetically. What? No walk?

Kind of like the kids and family traditions, defined as anything we did one time which they enjoyed.

Ironically, we came back inside and worked on ‘downs’ for a while. Using bacon flavored treats sped up his response time -- who *wouldn’t* work for bacon? -- but he’s still almighty slow.

Can’t wait for classes which begin next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment